Home » Moms, Notes From Motherhood

You Just Have to Pencil Yourself In

2 May 2010 31 Comments

Sometimes it’s hard to remember there was a time in my life I could jump in the car and run up to the store just to buy something trivial, like a slice of cake…. just because. The whole ordeal wouldn’t take much longer than 10 minutes, and then I’d be back in front of my TV, watching my favorite show and noshing on exactly what I’d been craving all week.

These days, any trip requires at least 10 minutes just to get shoes on me and the toddler, the diaper bag packed, the special book found so that he will be entertained in the car (momentarily, at least), and then there’s the struggle of getting everyone and everything out of the house and into appropriate seats and buckles. Ugh. I’m exhausted just typing that.

So, yeah… “quick” trips to the store for trivial things don’t happen very often anymore. Everything has to be thought out and planned for, it seems.

And that’s pretty much the way it is with any sort of “me” time these days. When my son was a baby, “me” time just didn’t happen. I couldn’t spontaneously leave him whenever I got the urge. Even if my husband was home to watch him, the chances that he would want to eat while I was gone meant that I had to worry about whether or not he’d take a bottle and if I had enough precious pumped milk in the freezer.

For a while I was fine with it, sacrificing time alone to be with my son every waking moment. Until one day, well, I just wasn’t. I NEEDED to get out, to be a single entity again, to know what it’s like to miss my baby, to remember what it was like to just be me. I learned that the key to regaining “me” time was scheduling it. It was such a strange concept at first, having to pencil in time to be alone, but now I don’t know how else I’d accomplish it.

I started by signing up for a bootcamp. Strange as it may seem, I looked forward to getting my butt kicked twice a week. Then last year I dedicated myself to training for a marathon. I never enjoyed working out at much as I do now that I’m a mom. It’s something I have to do by myself, and I come home reminded how strong I am. Not to mention, the extra boost to my self esteem as I start to fit back into smaller jeans doesn’t hurt, either.

While I can’t just decide on a whim that I’m ready for a run and head out the door (unless I want to push the jogging stroller and an extra 35 lbs), I have adapted to scheduling these “me” times (and taking turns) with my husband. And sometimes I skip the run altogether and just take off for some retail therapy if I feel like my wallet’s getting a little too chubby, which might be crazy because my wallet probably gets about as chubby as Paris Hilton.

What about you? How do you get “me” time in? What do you do?

Jill Krause is a BornFree Panel member and blogger.

• sillon bh shiatsu said:

Se trata del sillón levantapersonas , un mueble que
    pertenece a la familia de los asientos tapizados, que tiene
    apariencia de sillón tradicional, mas que incorpora un motor debajo del asiento para elevarlo
    desde atrás y de este modo aproximarlo a quien se quiere sentar y dejar que pueda
    hacerlo sin apenas esfuerzo.

• apartamenty kraków said:

Valuable information. Lucky me I discovered your website by
    accident, and I’m shocked why this twist of fate didn’t came about earlier!

I bookmarked it.

• go said:

I read this piece of writing fully concerning the difference of most up-to-date
    and preceding technologies, it’s amazing article.

• http://www.polyvile.nl said:

I was wondering if you ever thought of changing
    the page layout of your website? Its very well written;
    I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a
    little more in the way of content so people could connect with it
    better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having
    one or two pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?

• robot multifonction kenwood darty said:

A vous de voir en si un robot multifonction d’entrée de gamme peut être suffisant.

• レンタカー当日予約 said:

自動車免許を手にしてからレンタカーを借りて東北一人旅に行ったことがあります。ところで、もし初めてレンタカーを使うのなら、ゴルデンウィークであったり費用が上がるタイミングがいつなのかであったり、評判の車種は予めネット予約して準備しておかないと、レンタカー当日予約は非常に難しいであったり、等しい車種だとしてもクラスが違うと、価格も変わってくるとかに気を付けましょう。それと、レンタカーでの出発前の精算は典型的にはクレジットカードを使った入金がメジャーです。現金で入金するときは身分証明の為に保険証が必要だったりします。価格に関するポイント以外だと、借りる車ごとの使い方の違い、ナビの使い方の違いとかを認識ことが大事だと思います。ちょっとでも不十分ななところがあるなら、レンタカーの店舗の社員に入念に聞くべきだと考えます。延々と何十分も質問するわけではありませんので、聞かないと勿体ないです。あと、補償にに関しては入会が許される補償には一切合財加入することをイチ押しします。当方もレンタカー初心者の時は入会しなかったケースがありました。とは言え、今では殆ど加盟しています。理由は数々で、返却する頃に覚えが無い傷で請求に関する揉め事が多発という記事を目にしたりします。真に、大手のレンタカー店舗でも運転に未熟なユーザーのキズや変色についての自覚が無かったり、思考の違いもあるかもです。補償の本文が初めてチャーターしたときより認識できるに合わせて、加盟料金を上乗せして、その挙句にトラブルなくても、これが充分な安心感に変わると思案し始めたからです。実際に有事の時に払う費用は結構な額になります。

• valise cabine delsey said:

Pour en revenir aux voyages, si vous désirez
    acquérir une valise pour avion pas chère,
    ce modèle hybride est vendu à faible coût : vous retrouverez les meilleures ventes de
    cette gamme à travers nos différentes pages comparatifs.

• rosehip oil said:

This piece of writing is genuinely a nice one it assists new internet users, who are wishing for blogging.

• world tour finals said:

Exposure – All the pitches displayed and are shot
    on the Lift World Tour website for a global market to savor.

• between tree said:

I went over this internet site and I conceive you have a lot of superb information, saved to fav
    (:.

• buy google play credit online said:

You do not actually acquire the physical card and you do not need to have to
    supply your address.

• カナフレックス2ch said:

「今日は何となく、だらだらしとこうかな?」カナフレックス2chさんをお昼に誘うつもりで連絡をしたら、第一声がこれでした。

ですから、今日、実にに久しぶりにカナフレックス2chさんに逢いました。

• pewdiepie tuber simulator hack said:

Thanks in favor of sharing such a good thought, article is fastidious, thats why i have read it fully

• https://mohca63.wordpress.com said:

Oral sex, sexual intercourse and rubbing against the
    contaminated area are common examples of how the virus particles can be transferred.

• solgar ürünleri açıklamaları said:

Thanks for contacting Solgar Vitamin and Herb by our website.

We recognize your curiosity in our products.

• Dirk said:

Exclusivamente neste estudo, os acompanhantes que referiram conhecer a Lei
    demonstraram pouco conhecimento sobre seu objetivo,
    relacionando-a com um papel inspetor de possíveis erros na assistência prestada.

• travellin.co.id said:

I am in fact happy to glance at this website posts which contains lots of useful facts, thanks for providing these kinds of information.

• d9club said:

d9clubはこちら

• Mia said:

Utilizar Publicidade: utilizar sistemas de anúncios também é uma ótima forma de
    ganhar dinheiro.

• arco de violino espirito santo said:

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thank you so
    much, However I am having troubles with your RSS.
    I don’t know why I can’t subscribe to it. Is there anybody else
    getting the same RSS problems? Anybody who knows
    the solution can you kindly respond? Thanx!!

• www.socialmediatoday.com said:

Of course I also pick up matching shower curtains and rugs.
    If you are new to apartment living, you may be finding it hard to make
    your apartment feel like an actual home. Chances are you won’t walk into parties
    and many social gatherings to you may sometimes need to force the issue
    with others.

• insta follow unfollow app said:

Instanegócios é treinamento mais completo e inovador para utilizar Instagram como ferramenta de divulgação de produtos, utilizando a rede
    social para marketing digital.

• Leblon - RJ said:

Tradicional em Búzios, restaurante tailandês Sawasdee Bistrô abriu suas portas no Leblon em dezembro de 2007.

• youtube.com said:

The shift from friend to girlfriend can be difficult,
    however if it works, think me it can be the best feeling ever.

• Jacquie said:

The bad results of local and disseminated CNS illness have actually been caused by hold-ups in between the
    onset of the symptom and the treatment.

• sexy dresses said:

This web site really has all of the information I needed about this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

• les ateliers fougères said:

Nice replies in return of this matter with firm arguments and telling the whole
    thing regarding that.

• getawaytoday.tumblr.com said:

It’s genuinely very complex in this busy life to listen news on Television, therefore I just use world wide web for that reason, and get the newest news.

• coupon airbnb it said:

In San Francisco on Wednesday, the average rate to lease a whole home
    or house on Airbnb was $348 a night.

• filmmaking workshops in pune said:

Digital film making course is designed in such a way to impart each the
    theoretical and practical elements in the craft of Digital film
    creating and make the students to get expertise in planning productions, writing scripts, producing storyboards and understanding how to shoot with wide variety of cameras.

• contem 1g perfumes contratipos 2016 said:

Fazendo publicidade com Adwords, incluindo na rede de display do Google, você acaba aparecendo em blogs.