Home » Featured

Choosing Green Baby Products

21 May 2010 11 Comments

I first started to learn about green baby products when my second child was born. I’m a little ashamed to admit that with my first child I used all kinds of toxic chemicals in the home while she was very young. I even loved the smell of my freshly bleached floors!

A close friend of mine was the one who convinced me to try green cleaning products. I’d always believed that products made with natural ingredients just couldn’t clean as well as ones made from vinegar and plants. Another concern of mine was health. Could natural products actually kill germs?

For about three months I learned everything I could about green cleaners and finally came to the conclusion that my harsh cleaners were doing more damage than germs ever could. My home wasn’t a hospital. It didn’t have to be sterilized and 100% germ-free. It had to be healthy. I found safe cleaning products that do an amazing job and I feel good about what I’m bringing in to my home.

Whenever I pass the cleaning products aisle in grocery stores I feel a sense of urgency to tell other moms that all of the high power powders and liquids they’re dousing their homes with may be doing more damage than good. We need to read labels! If it makes you dizzy while cleaning, it’s not good for your body or home!

Here’s to being on the green path together!

-BornFree Canadian Mom

Contest! In the comments, share: Who do you turn to when you need advice?

If you click “Like” or “Share on Facebook” leave an additional “I Shared” comment to increase your chances of winning through random.org. You can also receive a bonus comment by emailing moms@newbornfree.com instead of sharing. You do not have to be a Facebook Fan to Enter.

One person will receive a Teether Gum Brush, Silicone Teether, and a 16oz bottle of Dapple Toy & Surface Cleaner.

Become a Fan of BornFree Canada on Facebook

• Tamara Martens said:

I love having my family to turn to for advice. They are a great source of experience and suggestion. These articles are so helpful, because they’re written by actual parents.

• Stephanie said:

I generally turn to my own mother, or my best friend for advice. It’s always nice to get more than 1 opinion just to see what each person thinks. I will admit, that I do use my good friend “Google” as well. He’s always has the answers!!

• Shari said:

I usually go to my hubby for advice on things. He knows me better than anyone, and usually has good advice. If it is Mommy type questions, than I go to my huge network of Mommy friends! They always come thru with various things to try!

• Kathryn said:

I’ve always turned to my mom for advice, but in the past few months since I’ve had my son, I’ve also found myself turning to my sister-in-law. Her son (my nephew) is exactly one year older than mine, so she remembers this time very well, but also has a bit of perspective that comes with time. Thanks for the great contest!

• Kathryn said:

I “liked” the entry on facebook.

• Karen Southin said:

I always turned to my mother for advice. Lately, however, I have sought the advice of a group of new mothers in my area. We are all experiencing motherhood for the first time together. It has been great to share all of our firsts together and learn from each other as well.

• Nicole said:

hi…i am misunderstanding this quote i think?

“I’d always believed that products made with natural ingredients just couldn’t clean as well as ones made from vinegar and plants.”

maybe i’m wrong, but i thought natural ingredient cleaners were ones made from vinegar and plants? and not chemicals?

i could have misread however, i have been up since 4 am with my 4 mos old, and other two kids…*yawn*

• Bunmi (author) said:

You’re right, Nicole! I mistyped ;) Probably from a lack of sleep on my end, too!! :)

• kristen said:

My mom always cause no matter what she is there to listen or help she is a mom when I need her and a best friend when I need her too!!!!

• kristen said:

I shared on facebook!!!

I turn to my family for advice since we are the last one to have a baby, everyone has already “been there and done that”.