Home » Notes From Motherhood

Notes From Motherhood: Learning to Crawl

25 May 2010 7 Comments

My 8-month-old is learning to crawl. And I’m learning to watch. I should be a pro at this: I have a 4-year-old, but it’s so hard for me to watch her struggle! Am I crazy? I watch her teether and totter on her arms, rock forward and back (“Is she going to hit her head?”) and I just wish I could move her little arms and legs for her.

There is something truly amazing about watching a baby turn into a toddler turn into a kid. I can’t believe that less than a year ago I was swaddling her and feeding her every 2 hours. I can’t believe that this time last year she was kicking me from the inside and giving me heartburn and all sorts of funny cravings.

As mothers we walk this fine line of wanting to do everything for our children and wanting them to learn to be autonomous. I feel so lucky to be a mom and get to watch someone grow wings right before my eyes. I know that in just a matter of months she’ll be walking and I’ll be chasing her down the street. It’s so hard to believe how fast babies change. Some days it feels like I’m hoping for the future and wanting things to stay the way they are at the same time.

The moment is all we ever have. It’s probably all we need, too.

-BornFreeMom

Contest: Comment to win. Share one special thing about being a mom that you’ll treasure forever. One winner will receive a BornFree Twist N’Pop Cup!

View the prize: http://www.newbornfree.com/BPA-Free-Cups/Drinking-Cups-142544/6291893-Twist-N-Pop-Straw-Cup/ProductInfo.aspx

• Kristen Lane said:

As happy as I am to watch my two boys grow I wish that just for a bit that time would slow down. I can’t believe that in just a month I will have a 2 year old and a 5 month old. As exciting as it is I miss the earlier months when my little guys would sleep on my chest and all their other firsts!!! I’m sure the next adventures will be amazing and memorable and I am one lucky Mama!! I love looking back at all the pictures from my oldest, of his first smile, his first word, his first crawl, his first steps and have all of that to look forward to with my youngest. I will always treasure those memories, but my favourite was the first time my little guy said “I wuv you Mama!” My heart soared!!!

• kristen said:

One special thing about being a mom that I will treasure forever is when she got 2 teeth at once and started crawling!!! I was shocked cause both of those happened within a week!! But there are a million things it is hard to pick just on as I love my little girl Chloe more than the whole wide world!!!!!

• brittany said:

As happy as I am to watch my two boys grow I wish that just for a bit that time would slow down. I can’t believe that in just 4 and 6 months I will have a 4 year old and a 4 year old and a new baby girl at the end of aguest.. As exciting as it is I miss the earlier months when my little guys would sleep on my chest and all their other firsts. I love looking back at all the pictures from my oldest, of his first smile, his first word, his first crawl, his first steps and have all of that to look forward to with my youngest. I will always treasure those memories, but my favourite was the first time both of my sons said mommy it melt my heart i am looking forward to see my daughter grow up to become a pretty young lady.

• Julia said:

I remember when my daughter first start learning to crawl, she would only go backwards then slowly sitting up scooting and one day she just started walking!

• Jody said:

I get teary eyed every day as I think about my little guy and how much he has grown in 4 months. He had a rough start gaining weight and has since doubled his birth weight. I am having so many proud moments I don’t know if my heart can handle any more, I fear it may burst! He may have my husband’s looks but I see my stubborn personality as my baby attempts to roll over everywhere, the tub, his swing, his bouncing chair, etc. He is so determined right now he even wakes up in the middle night to practice and I don’t mind.

• Nicole said:

this is my third baby. he is four months old. the older two are 6 and 4…unbelieveable where the time goes. with my firstborn, i was reading, comparing, teaching, every minute making sure he reached that first milestone on track, or hey, even early. with the second, i was a little more laid back…but then again, i felt like, well, if her brother had no problems reaching that mark on time, why shouldn’t she. this time…this time i know it is my last time. i am cherishing every single minute, and encouraging him as he grows, and changes. but i am in no rush at all. i know that he will do all of the little things that he should and in no time at all he will conquer the world. gone already is the smushy, squishy little newborn…he is already wanting to explore this fascinating place and has found that there are more important things than nursing and cuddling with mama…i will just watch from the sidelines this time…cheering him on, and marvelling at whatever he wants to do…at his pace…loving each and every minute.

• Alexis said:

The most special thing I can remember to date is when she said “I luf you mommy!” for the very first time. That was the moment I knew she had my heart forever :)