Home » Featured, Moms

Future Hockey Mom?

27 May 2010 9 Comments

I stumbled across these super cute baby hockey skates on Etsy the other day and began to think about the fact that the moms of Canadian hockey stars probably had their little ones on the ice before they could speak!

Am I behind the game? Should I be thinking about becoming a hockey, dance, or soccer mom?

Honestly, I really can’t see myself being dedicated enough to take my kids to early morning practices every single day unless they were truly passionate about something. Passion doesn’t come until 5, 6, 7 or 8. Will that be too late? I wonder if I’m dooming my children to mediocrity by not singing them up for something. Even piano lessons.

My life feels full & busy as it is. I’m pretty sure that those cute hockey booties are close to a team uniform that my baby is going to see until she’s five years old or older.

What about you? Are you a future (fill in sport or activity) mom?

Update: Stephanie is the winner!! She has been emailed.

Share your invention! One person who comments will win a Twist N’Pop Cup and a 35 count container of Dapple Toy & Surface Wipes!

Click “Like” or “Share on Facebook” and leave a bonus comment (“I shared”) for a bonus entry! Good luck! You can also email moms@newbornfree.com as a bonus entry.

• brittany said:

i am a future soccer mom i love soccer and my kids love kicking the soccer ball around all over the yard.

• Pamela said:

I am a future babeball mom( my 4 year old boy loves basball) and I am hoping to become a dance mom with my 1 yr old girl, she loves dancing to anything that she hears!!

OMG those skates are adorable. Definitely ordering two pairs soon!!! My husband was a hockey player until a knee injury put him out of the picture. It was really hard on him. So when our oldest was born and we found out he was a boy, he was ecstatic!! A few days out of the hospital he went and bought him a little hockey stick and his first jersey. When we found out our second was a boy he was just as excited. With our family growing we had to get a bigger vehicle. We had to keep in mind that it had to have room for all the hockey equipment it would be hauling. SUV all the way. Our boys are now almost 2 years and almost 4 months old and Daddy has already planned everything out!!! I look forward to being a hockey mom, and getting to watch my husband share in his passion with our two sons. I really hope our kiddos love hockey as much as he does!!!

• Jody said:

My husband is a curler which is obviously not as popular as some of the aforementioned sports. He is actually quite good at it and has been to the brier several times. (The Stanley Cup of Curling)..LOL.
    Sadly, this year my son was born smack in the middle of the season so curling had to take a backseat this year, but I didn’t realize how much other people associate my husband with the sport until an article appeared in our lock paper about how my husband’s team didn’t make it to the brier this year and a paragraph was dedicated to how I had given birth to the city’s next curling superstar. Ultimately I will be whatever (insert sport here) mom that my son wants to partake in.

• Wen said:

My husband LOVES football. Needless to say I was so happy to find out we were having a girl. I did not want to see my poor baby being hit so hard it could break a collar bone (his was broken when he was 13)! Now any sport she picks is okay with me. She’s been in swimming lessons since 5 months old and loves the water. I am just overjoyed to see her smile in whatever she is doing :)

• Stephanie said:

I hope to be a future sports mom! I don’t even care what sport my daughter decides to play. I will support her with whatever sport she decides to play. She is quite the little swimmer and dancer (Mommy hopes that’s what she decides!) and Daddy is rooting for t-ball though! There’s a lot to learn when you’re on teams, and mostly I’m excited for her to learn about teamwork. I can’t wait to sit on the sidelines and cheer for my girl!

• Janice said:

I am a future hockey/soccer/baseball Mom… my son is probably going into at least two of these sports, all three if my DH has his way… haha!

• Erin said:

I think “Hockey Mom” is in my future and perhaps a few other sports as well! My husband loves hockey and we have had my son skating since he was two. Now that he is three, he is beginning soccer. And then of course there’s swimming lessons, which we started together when he was an infant. As he gets older, we’ll see which sports he chooses to play. At this point, we’re happy that he’s learning about them, being active, and having fun!

• Liane said:

I am definitely hoping to be a future hockey mom. My husband was a great hockey player when he was young and still plays pickup hockey. I was a hockey player and still am. We all play hockey and I am pretty sure that our son will want in on the fun when we scrape the pond in the back. We will be very supportive but will not force our child to play if he doesn’t as many parents do. Bottom line is…we want him to want to play!