Home » Notes From Motherhood

Did You Have Postpartum Depression?

10 June 2010 7 Comments

Lauren Senese of BornFreeMom.com, the BornFree community blog for US moms, just wrote a deep and honest blog about her experience with postpartum depression.

I recently learned from the Canada Mental Health Association that postpartum depression occurs in 10-35% of all women and still tends to be undiagnosed. Symptoms include:

* constant fatigue
* lack of joy in life
* sense of numbness
* social withdrawal from family and friends
* lack of concern for self or the newborn baby
* severe insomnia
* excessive concern for the baby
* loss of sexual responsiveness
* strong sense of failure and inadequacy
* severe mood swings
* appetite changes
* thoughts of suicide

If you feel like you may have postpartum depression it’s important to know that you’re not alone and that you need to get help from a medical professional.

Learn more about postpartum depression, the “baby blues”, and postpartum psychosis on ParentsCanada.com.

Let’s share and get the word out!

Did you have postpartum depression? Share something you know about postpartum depression. One person will be selected to be sent a BornFree Prize Pack that includes a Drinking Cup.

***The winner is Minna! Thank you for entering***

• Pamela said:

I have 2 children and had post partum with both. My first child I knew something ws not right but I hid it for almost 6 months until it ws to the point I could not handle it, and would cry at night or when nobody was around. When I finally went to the dr I felt much better. After my second child was born and I started to feel bad again, i went to the dr right away and now I feel great.
    If anyone thinks they have this, don’t try to hide it or deal yourself. It may seem like the right thing to do but its not,you need help dealing with this and there are lots of people out there to help.
    I sure am glad I got the help i needed!!!

• sue said:

Do not be ashamed or embarrassed. It is not a sign of weakness, nor is low blood sugar a sign of weakness to a diabetic. It is time for people to speak out and uncover the shame and guilt mothers feel and get help. Our bodies go through a crazy experience and some of us will suffer from extreme morning sickness because that is how the hormones effected us when we are pregnant, others will suffer from depression after because of the change. There is help through medication and help through therapy. Also once you admit it to someone you will start to feel better. I lived in shame with my postpartum OCD for 4 to 5 months. Because I didn’t admit it I missed out enjoying the little things, and then one day I decided to fight for that happiness and for my family and went and seen my doctor and after we decided my line of treatment, ever day it kept getting better and then after about two weeks I was back to normal and loving life. When my child turned one we went off my treatment and its been over a year without it and I am doing great. However I am aware of the signs and I will not be hide in shame, as I know my body created my wonderful child and I realize it is not a sign of weakness!

• Jody said:

I have a 5 month old and have had mini bouts of what I can only call extreme exhaustion to the point of tears. Is this a taste of what some women with PPD go through? If so, I feel for them in a way kindred spirits can only understand. My sadness went away with a husband assisted night of full rest but for those who can’t quite get back to where they were, I encourage speaking to family and friends and never feeling ashamed at something that many can’t comprehend until they are in a similar place.

• kathy said:

I suffered from PPD which turned into Major Depressive Disorder because I let my PPD go untreated for so long (stubborn, scared, confused). I had one hell of a year and 2009 was awful for me. I’m better now – almost cured in fact – with medication, psychotherapy, a wonderful loving and supportive husband and family/friends. I posted my story on my blog because I wanted to share with other mothers out there and let them know that they’re not alone. http://bit.ly/9kvACu

• Alicia said:

I didn’t realize that I had it until it was gone. I only had it with my first son. Our second son is only 2 month old and I’m doing fine. My husband even mentioned to me that I seem a lot happier this time around.

• Minna said:

My son is now 3 weeks old and I feel fine. At times I’m frustrated because I don’t know what he wants after all the feeding, changing or holding him. I was “diagnosed” of having of PPD because I was crying so much from the pain of my c-section that staff at my hospital thought I had it. They didn’t realized that I was in so much pain that I couldn’t take care of my son. Unfortunate part is that I was “labelled” without proper assessment.

Everyone warned me that many women who have just had babies sometimes experience postpartum depression. I guess because our daughter was born at 28 weeks gestation, the medical staff whose care I was under had me under their attention and were looking out for signs of postpartum depression. They said that with all the raging hormones and the emotions of having a high risk pregnancy and a baby in the NICU for the first few months of her life, they wouldn’t be surprised if I was depressed. I had a social worker who visited me at the hospital (when I was there all day and night beside my daughter’s incubator). Everyone seemed really concerned.

My husband worried about me. He was 6 hrs away and couldn’t be with us except for every other weekend. We live on an island 6 hrs away from Toronto and Little One and I had to be at Mt. Sinai and Sick Kids. It was a crazy first few months.

To be honest, I did cry a lot and I was overwhelmed and exhausted. To me, I didn’t feel like I was depressed. I just attributed it all to the fact that I had just had a very premature baby, I had to travel every morning to see her and go back by bus and subway every night without her (I was staying at family’s while she was in the NICU). Most moms get to hold their babies and be at home with their newborns and here I was, commuting every day, spending my days and nights in the NICU, pumping breast milk for her every 3 hrs, and only being able to hold her when the nurses said it was okay to hold her.

Now that I think of it, I’m surprised I didn’t lose my mind. It was really hard. My husband thinks I may have had a mild case of postpartum depression. I just thought it was because I was going through a lot and mostly on my own…at a time that was supposed to be the happiest time of my life. For me, I felt I had no time to be depressed. It was go, go, go, go, go for me. I was on auto-pilot because my daughter needed me.

Now that our daughter is 18 months old, she happy and healthy. I feel more overwhelmed now than when she was a newborn! :P LOL!