Home » Headline, Notes From Motherhood

Playing Safe in the Sun!

9 August 2010 20 Comments

Now that Summer is in our midst, there’s nothing like spending the day at the beach or a weekend at the cottage with the kids. Fresh air, sunshine, water, and warm weather. That’s what we live for in the Summer, right? In Canada, our Summer season is not that long, so we try to make the most out of our “hot” weather and sun-filled days.

It’s always a good idea to keep our little ones safe while having fun in the sun. A spot in the shade, a beach umbrella, and a hat can help prevent sunburns and heat exhaustion.  If keeping your kids out of the sun’s rays from 10AM to 4PM (when the sun’s rays are at their strongest) is out of the question, just make sure they are protected from the sun.

Little One does not leave the house without her hat. I traded in her adorable little polka dot bikini for a full-on UV-protective suit. It looks like a wetsuit (the kind that SCUBA divers wear). Yes, I’ve been the source of many jokes with the other moms when we take the kids swimming. Little One is covered head to toe with her wide-brimmed hat, UV-protective suit, sunglasses, AND sunblock. It actually is kind of funny to see her covered up while all the other kids are swimming naked! It does seem a little excessive on my part, but her skin is so delicate and she burns easily.

I’ve never been diligent at applying sunblock to my own body. A self-professed sun worshiper and beach hopper, I used to bask in the sun’s warm rays. I used to slather on the tanning oil and try to get as golden brown as possible when I was in my early 20s! Things have changed somewhat though. I won’t lie. The thought of skin cancer scares me. Hubby and Little One both have fair skin. Not only do I make my 20 month old toddler wear a hat and cover up, but I also use sunblock for babies on her. I apply it on her before we leave the house and re-apply throughout the day.

When Little One was very little, I avoided using sunblock because I was not sure how safe it was to use on babies. I had done my research and came up with many conflicting articles on the use of sunblock on babies. I had heard that it was not recommended to use sunblock on babies younger than 6 months of age. I recall having numerous conversations about the whole “Is it okay to use sunblock on babies?” debate with ALL my mommy friends and family members. Thanks to Twitter, blogs and Facebook,  moms can throw any question out there and with the help of the Internet, our mommy questions are answered! It is always wise to ask your children’s pediatrician first. Not that the true, tried and tested methods from other moms isn’t helpful. Other moms can offer some pearls of wisdom, but like anything, always research all your options thoroughly first.

According to this article on BabyCenter.Com, “Until August 1999, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommended against using any type of sunscreen on babies younger than 6 months, because their skin’s ability to metabolize and excrete chemicals may not be fully developed.” This said, the article further states that the recommendation was somewhat revised and that it is fine to use sunscreen on babies under 6 months of age.

If uncertain, always consult your family doctor or pediatrician. Our pediatrician recommended a waterproof sunblock for babies/children with SPF 30 or higher.

Some safer sunscreens available are:
California Baby SPF 30 + Sunblock Stick – No Fragrance –  This is a non chemical sunscreen. It uses non-penetrating titanium dioxide (no nano particles) to protect against the sun. It is also made with organic & sustainably grown ingredients.
Dermalogica Ultra Sensitive Faceblock SPF 25 – Another chemical free sunblock using non-penetrating titanium dioxide.
ThinkBaby Sunscreen – Free of Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals, No Nano particles, Paraben Free and PABA Free.
Miessence Organics Reflect Outdoor Balm SPF 15 – Made by a great company with organic ingredients. It has added antioxidants and beta carotene to help nourish skin and protect it.

How do you keep your little one safe on hot summer days? Share one tiop. One person will win a BornFree Twist N’Pop Straw Cup!

Winner! The winner is Steph with the email address: p********@hotmail.com

• Jenn said:

Lots of water and a cool sun hat!

• Suelynn said:

keeping kids hydrated on those hot days whe the are playing or drooling is a must. Watermelon is a great source of water and is pack full of healthy ingredients.

My boys are always rocking their sweet hats, cool shades, and slathered up in sunscreen when we are outside. As if I don’t carry enough stuff with my having 2 under 2, I add our beach umbrella to the mix to make sure we always have some shade. If we are at home my oldests favourite before swimming activity is to build a fort using lawn chairs and blankets, over his little pool.

• Miriam W said:

Lots of water and freezies!

I keep my 3 girls cool by trying to stay in the shade. I always have extra drinks to keep them hydrated wherever we may go. I try to not go out when it may be the hottest days. When it may be hot always sunscreen and a hat.

In the worse case we stay cool by having lots of fun inside with the air on. :)

• Jen said:

I keep the boys cool with LOTS of cold water and shade. It is inevitable that they’ll venture into the sun, so I am always sure to have the sunscreen slathered on. Another safe sunscreen not posted that we use is Badger. It’s great! All natural AND waterproof! My boys love it. Whenever we’re headed out into the sun my oldest always says “Mom I need to be Badgered up”
    Enjoy the sunshine everyone :)

• Sarah said:

I always make sure I have my aloe vera mist with me for heat rashes just in case (my 4 month old gets them every day, this mist is great for relief!)

• Steph said:

Watermelon and lots of access to a fresh sippy cup. A hat and sunglasses is a must when venturing out!

• Rhonda said:

Hey. Is is defiantly very important to keep the kiddies out of direct sun. drinking lots of fluids and eating lots water based food will help keep baby feel good and safe in the sun. Always put a hat on baby and reapply sun block every hour or so. U have to protect lil ones because they cant do it themselves! :)

• Robyn C said:

I use sunblock for babies, make sure he wears sunglasses and a good hat that covers his ears, and I make sure he has plenty of cold water!

Most definitely hats. Both my girls must have hats on when we are out in the sun!

• Wen said:

My bald-headed boo always needs a sun hat, sunscreen, a shady spot, and of course her BornFree Twist N’Pop straw cup filled with cold water! She is 11 months now and can easily pick up and hold the straw cup on her own :) I’ve tried getting her to wear her shades but she never keeps them on!

• Melanie said:

Good old fashioned, frozen orange juice or apple juice pops. A sunhat and light, loose clothing.

To keep cool through those hot summer days (Especially on those days when the Air conditioner decides to call it quits and we must wait 3 days for service) we nosh on Frozen watermelon slices with babe and make sure that she stays hydrated with water & ice cubes made from lemon and lime juice and water to keep her healthy without the sugar that comes from juice!

A great tip for Moms too!

• Maella Colas said:

Lots of water throughout the day, don’t expose them directly to the sun, and don’t overdress your babies! Too hot is just as bad as too cold!

Lots of shade and baby sunscreen.

• Amanda Detillieux said:

Lots of sunscreen and watermelon….and swimming in the lake:)

• crystal said:

Lots of water and a balance of sun and shade, some sunscreen and the pool

Congrats to the winner! :) Your little one will enjoy the Twist ‘n Pop cup! My 20 month old loves it!! :)

• hotels deals cheap said:

They Wage,fast supply manage population public big shout insurance new sit drive free price environmental pocket sense owner visit proportion marriage front flow acquire pain will friend exchange closely identify scale attitude otherwise company species comment deep while provide garden name repeat obviously planning act corner century exercise weapon exist fast cause access care basis yet studio nevertheless say connect emerge mine player come far health visit dangerous permanent plan strength gas fully carry class time question student entirely volume less elsewhere terrible hand stick