Home » Contests, Featured

Notes From Motherhood: Teething

27 August 2010 37 Comments

For some reason I can’t at all remember when my first daughter started teething. Was the memory so horrific that I’ve blocked it out? That must be the case because my 3.5 month old has started teething. Isn’t this a little early? I’m assuming this means she’ll be an early reader as well.

Some of the symptoms are: eating around the clock, crankiness, not sleeping well…and that’s just me, the baby is having a hard time, too.

I’ve tried homeopathy, good old Tylenol (although she’s so young I’m keeping the amounts minimal) and lots of love. Of course I brought out her pink Teether Gum Brush for the occasion!

She loves the feeling of the soft bristles against her ailing gums. Great mom that I am, I even popped it in the freezer so that she can cool down her gums a bit. Okay that’s not an original idea but I get points for remembering to do it, right?

Yes, I do keep flour in my freezer…Try to find the Teether Gum Brush in the photo below.

Enter to win a Teether Gum Brush and Silicone Teether. Share your teething remedies in the comments below. One person will be chosen to win!

Good luck!

• Maella Colas said:

One word: Camilia!
    I’m not sure if it’s available outside of Quebec, but this is the best thing I’ve tried. It’s all-natural and it’s basically water with a bit of herbal essences (like chamomile). It comes in 30 unidoses (even better!). You just pop one open and make your child drink it stratight from the tube. You can give up to 3 tubes in a row (15 minutes interval), and my daughter even falls asleep after I’ve given her some! I wanna encourage everyone to use it, if available, because it’s all-natural.

Aside from that, calming teas (like a mild infusion of calming herbs) will work too, and gripe water.

I have to say that there are different homeopathic brands out there (like kids 0-9) which have teething products. Give them a try and you won’t regret it! ;-)

All my girls started teething around 4 months. I always found putting baby anbesol on really helped. I also tried wet wash clothes sometimes, and once in awhile I would give some baby tylenol. All in all even having 3 girls. I didn’t really find teething all that bad. I found the terrible almost 2′s alot worse :)

I also shared :)

I think my 3 month old is teething too! She constantly wants to be chewing on something. We use Hyland’s Teething tablets, frozen wash cloths. Have yet to buy her a teether!

Shared on FB!

• Kristi Kocherkewych said:

My son started teething around 5 months but his first 2 teeth (bottom ones) didn’t appear until 6.5-7 months old (the top 2 are taking their drooly time to appear as he is now 9.5 months old!!). I have used the Infant Tylenol (white grape dye free flavour and he loves it and it’s thick so it makes the nighttime doses easy to administer b/c it’s not dripping everywhere!!); I’ve use the Camilla products a few times but basically besides medication, my son chews, pulls, sucks on his Sophie the giraffe (I even put it in the freezer for a couple of minutes), he’s been knowns to suck on my chin (yes, I’ve even got a few hickeys that way!!), and basically anything he can get his mouth on to chew and soothe those gums is a hit. I try to keep wet cloths (even dry ones he likes to tug in and out of his mouth), teething toys with grooves on it and he likes his BPA free rubber spoons that he can chew on and yank in and out of his mouth. Just recently I noticed his crib getting some attention (aka biting)!!! But, *knock on wood* his teething from start until now has been fairly harmless.

• Stephanie said:

When my daughter was teething, we always had a bag of frozen wash cloths kept in the freezer in a ziplock bag… We would give her it to munch on and it seemed to do the trick. Alongside the Tylenol or Motrin, we bought a teether called “Razbaby” which is a textured paficifier type thing that looks like a raspberry. All the textured bumps and the ability to hold it herself was a lifesaver in the car, or when we were out in public.
    I never used the baby anbesol, because I tried it, and well to be honest it doesn’t taste that great.

In a way, I enjoyed when my daughter was teething, because it was the perfect time to get snuggles in, even if she was a bit grumpy!

For my son’s first two teeth (bottom ones) a frozen thin face cloth always did the trick. But as he’s moving onto his top two, good ol’ trusty Tylenol is the best remedy for now. We tried Camilia (spelling?) but it did absolutely nothing. When desperate my clean finger seems to help (to the horrors of mommy…wow the baby can bite hard!).

• Karen said:

We had a Pooh vibrating teether for my daughter & she loved it! Have a different vibrating one ready & waiting for my 4 month old son…. tick tock….

• Steph said:

Our son started teething at round that age too…but guess what he’s 8 months now and still no teeth. The sympotms have really gotten worse for the past month but still no teeth. We LOVE Camilia!! He gets so excited now when he sees the ampule:) It seems to help him sleep. He has always loved his ring of bugs teether, and a vibrating star teether. He also loves chomping on cold watermelon in his mesh feeder. Here’s hoping for teeth soon! Our fingers can’t take any more chomping:)

• Kady L. said:

With all three of my girls we gave them a cold wet washcloth for them to chew on. Freezing them was just too cold, but just running them under cold water seemed to do the trick!
    kady@thebeerguy.ca

• Natasha said:

My son also started teething early. We let him chew on cold wash cloths as well. But his favourite remedy is to chew on Sophie the Giraffe. He absolutely loves to chew on her, especially her legs!

• Sarah said:

|was very lucky in that my son wasn’t bothered much by teething. His teeth just sort of appeared one day. Unfortunately I think my five month old daughter is already having a harder time. Our best rememdy is lots of patience, cuddles and understanding. Having just cut a couple of my own wisdom teeth late in life, I can appreciate what these little guys are going through.

• Fan said:

My boy munches cloths or fabric toys all the time.

• Cassandra said:

My little guy is only 3 weeks old, but this is a period i am horrified of. It has to be the worst thibg ever. I got lost of teething ring and toys but still have nightmars about it. Thanks everyonr for the tips. i will for sure use some of them.

• Marsha Hillier said:

My first child didn’t start teething until around 7 months old. My middle child started around 3 months because by 5 months old she had 2 teeth and now my other 3 month old child is starting…I was told an old wives tale which proved out to be true for me…. it went something like this: if your baby gets teeth early then its a sign another baby is soon to follow … so true for my case = my middle girl was was only 5 months old when she had 2 teeth and was 7 months old when I became pregnant with the 3 child …LOL…

• Miriam said:

Giving them frozen berries/fruits in a sassy food teether…! Awesome and delicious and works well on the gums :)

• Cherry said:

My daughter is 4.5 months old and so far we are chewing on EVERYTHING. mom’s fingers, baby fingers, Sophie’s legs and feet (Sophie the Giraffe), Wash cloths (dry, wet in the bath, and wetting a corner and sticking it in the fridge). The wash cloth chewing is handy because she is helping keep the drool to a minimum at the same time.

We always get a kick out of the squeeking sound her gums make when rubbing on Sophie. She also seems to talk the most when all this stuff is in her mouth. Like she’s saying.. ahhh yea, that’s better!

She also seems to prefer we put her in dresses because she grabs the skirt and gnaws on it. Handy and attached, though then we end up having to change her often.

Frozen cloths worked wonders while were on a vacation when babe was full on teething. Wringing and shaping the cloths into easy grab options allowed her to hold it the way that she wanted.

We foregoed the teething drops and she loved frozen yogurt tubes to chew on and they could be popped back in the freezer too.

Although, the best teething toy was Sophie. She lost her spots from the teething!
    (;

• JENN said:

We love our amber teething necklace, and our ringley toys.

• Carolyn said:

My first daughter was a bad teether she was sick with cold for months before tooth would come in the best thing for her was frozen clothes and the raspberry teether. My second daughter is just over nine months and still no teeth so I am waiting for the horrible teething to start

• Carly said:

Good Old cold face cloths!!! both mine love them!! I also used the food nets and put frozen fruit (when they were old enough for food) into them. My daughter loved it!!!!!!!!! Frozen peach slice into a net with a handle and she was in love, not only was it soothing her gums but she was also getting a treat!!

• natural cleanse And detox said:

Hello! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick
    shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading your blog posts.

Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same subjects?

Thanks a ton!

• セリーヌ ショルダーバッグ PVC セリーヌ 福岡 said:

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement
    account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you!
    By the way, how could we communicate?

my webpage セリーヌ ショルダーバッグ PVC セリーヌ 福岡

• comment pirater un compte facebook said:

This craving has augmented alongwith the always improving capacities of the i – Phone, superseding even my laptop.
    Step3: Go to ‘Start->Control Panel->User Accounts’ to change or reset
    the forgotten Windows XP login password. Rhetorically speaking when are
    people accountable for their own actions.

Feel free to visit my homepage :: comment pirater un compte facebook

• Comment pirater un compte facebook said:

I got this site from my pal who told me on the topic of this web page and at the moment this time I
    am visiting this web site and reading very informative
    articles at this time.

• Erik T. Goluboff MD said:

Erik T. Goluboff MD…

BornFreeMom » Blog Archive » Notes From Motherhood: Teething…

• Try To Mens Nike Air Max 89 Green Black Running said:

At this time it appears like Expression Engine is the top blogging platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

• mejor app para recortar imagenes said:

This app records precise location data into the
    EXIF data for JPEG photos usuarios take.

• Benvenuti a Climacool Shoes Jogging said:

Hey there this is kinda of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding know-how so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

• Www.Powerfulskincaresolution.Com said:

Amazing! Its actually amazing post, I have got much clear idea
    regarding from tis paragraph.

Feel free to surf to my boog post: Reuvetx [http://Www.Powerfulskincaresolution.Com]

• 新作人気商品 セール対象商品 said:

? 見つけるために、のように注意して私は思います。
    新作人気商品 セール対象商品 http://forum-sokolovo.ru/gain-25157-163.html

• セール対象商品 新作 メンズ レディース said:

情報について と役立つ便利なの一部なものです。 私はだ私たちと一緒に| 情報情報 |この有用役に立ちを共有 嬉しい満足します。このように|私たちは最新の通知 | 保つ滞在してください。共有のために| おかげありがとうございます。
    セール対象商品 新作 メンズ レディース http://www.cortex-mag.net/gain-24667-162.html

• 限定品 店内全品ポイント10倍 said:

素晴らしい、ウェブサイト、それはです!このブログ 与える 役立つ 事実私たちには、それを維持します。
    限定品 店内全品ポイント10倍 http://www.ulucanlar.com.tr/gain-10737-167.html

• cheap saints gear said:

wholesale Tim Masthay jerseys Amazon Shopper online retail,
    with link: cheap saints gear