Home » Headline, Moms

My BornFree Journey by Erica Ashmore

14 September 2010 12 Comments

What to write about my first post on Born Free? I want to pay homage to BornFree after all they have been my first choice for bottles and teethers and I have loved them through all my trial and errors as a first time mom!

Baby you’re Ready!
I thought the right thing to do for my son was to transition him from breast to formula at 6 months, after all it’s what I read so I thought I’d try it.  Surely these parenting books know what they are talking about and they are  paving “the way” for what first time parents are to do.

My dear son took to it….just that one day and that one feeding out at the pub for lunch. I had my girlfriends come over to help, I felt so bad for putting Charlie on the breast and then sneaking in the nipple of the bottle, he was not impressed.

No I’m not ready, give me your breast!

Breast feeding in public was becoming more and more difficult to do as I was not comfortable having my breasts be accidentally “out there” for strangers to see and as he was getting bigger his legs and arms were flailing about.

Yes I know it’s natural, baby needs to be fed when he needs to, but as a first time mom I was shy about my having breasts exposed.  So I would go to the loo to sit in privacy and nurse away.  Not all bathrooms have nursing rooms so the stall was where I’d sit thinking please take the bottle one of these days….please! Please tell me you’ve been there to?!

Still not but ask me when I’m 10 months old…
He was eating solids now regularly so I thought maybe I should try to wean again so I tried the bottle again for his after meal snack.  I always breastfed after his meal to help him digest.  Yes I did it backwards but it made more sense to me to breastfeed after than before.  But he wasn’t interested. I gave up, he was about 8 months old at this time where I thought I’d give it another go.   So I continued to breastfeed exclusively and enjoyed every minute of it but 2 months later he was now 10 months and we were to take our first family road trip.  I had success!  He took the bottle!  Hooray!  Finally! I could feed him without having to pullover to nurse.

So I pulled out all the BornFree bottles I had. I chose BornFree because of the reputation they had and my dear son took to them quite well as we approached the notion of a bottle again.  So I was now breast feeding and bottle feeding at 10 months, which was fine for us.

Okay just give me the bottle, I’m not interested in breast feeding anymore mom.
After he weaned himself which was done at around the age of 16 months I switched him to cows milk.  Cows milk is what’s always recommended but I noticed he was getting little red pimple like bumps on his cheeks.  Being an Esthetician by trade I had an idea as to what it was so I began to pay close attention to see what was triggering his skin to react in such a way.  I ended up asking his doctor what she thought it was and I was correct when I thought it was eczema.

So I gave him Chamomile tea (keeps baby regular and promotes a restful sleep)  for a day or two and for his dairy I gave him yogurt, I would add cream cheese to his scrambled eggs and he loves cottage cheese. His skin calmed down but was still a little flared but not as much. When he drank cows milk the eczema would come up again, when I rotated with Chamomile tea his skin was clearer so I thought that’s it.  It’s the cow milk. As I did more research I discovered Goats Milk.

What a relief!

Did you know that Goats milk is alkaline like breast milk and easier to digest.  Goat milk doesn’t contain the same complex proteins that are the main stimulants of allergic reactions to cow dairy products, A ha!

What does Dr.Sears say?

Goat’s milk contains around ten grams of fat per eight ounces compared to 8 to 9 grams in whole cow’s milk, and it’s much easier to find lowfat and non-fat varieties of cow’s milk than it is to purchase lowfat goat’s milk. Unlike cow’s milk, goat’s milk does not contain agglutinin. As a result, the fat globules in goat’s milk do not cluster together, making them easier to digest. Like cow’s milk, goat’s milk is low in essential fatty acids, because goats also have EFA-destroying bacteria in their ruminant stomachs. Yet, goat milk is reported to contain more of the essential fatty acids linoleic and arachnodonic acids, in addition to a higher proportion of short-chain and medium-chain fatty acids. These are easier for intestinal enzymes to digest.

So, if your child suffers from eczema try Organic Goats Milk as an alternative before putting on the cortisone, it is low in folic acid so you may need to supplement with folic acid, please discuss with your doctor.

I found the information extremely interesting and wondered why cows milk is always suggested when Goats milk is closest to breast milk and less allergic.  Definitely an easier transition for baby from breast to milk.

Born Free has been with me every step of the way and I love their sippy cups for the transition from bottle to sippy cup as well, especially for those afternoon naps and bedtime feeds for toddler.

Thank you for your time!
-Erica Ashmore

Erica Ashmore is a blogger and member of the BornFree Mom Panel.

Contest! What is the first BornFree product you tried? If you’re new to the company, what product would you like to try? One person will be selected to win any bottle or cup of their choice!

View products here: http://www.newbornfree.com

The winner is Lindsay with the email: lindsa*******@yahoo.com

Wow, what a great article. It really hits home for me. My mother in law still to this day thinks my almost 1 year old is allergic to her formula. I know through my Doctor that she also has eczema. Thanks for all the great tips :)

The first product I tried was the plastic bottles. This is all have used for my last two girls. So great never had a problem, Recommend to any new mom :)

The first time I bought your product was for my cousin, when she was having a baby. My oldest was 4 at the time, so what did I know about bottles? There were so many new products out there! They were on her registry, so I bought them. Needless to say, she LOVED them an bought me some when I had my second! They are the only bottle she will take, I just need some in the smaller size ;)

• Lindsay said:

The first born free product I tried was a 5oz bottle. My baby loves it when she does get a bottle. I love that it was recommended by my midwife as a good option to use when breastfeeding.
    I would love a 9oz bottle now that my girl is getting bigger.

• Kristina said:

Since Lil J never took bottles, I didn’t have a chance to try out any Born Free products. I would love to try the trainer cup as Lil J loves to hold his own sippy cups and the trainer cup offers a nice, easy-to-hold handle!

The first product I tried were the glass bottles. I loved and still love them. Although, they are a little heavy for my son to hold up on his own (he’s 8 months now). One time we dropped one and it shattered, my baby was not impressed to see one of his favourite bottles destroyed. We have now moved on to include Born Free soothers and sippy cups in our collection.

• Crystal said:

I first started using BornFree products because I was looking for a product that would be easy to go from breast to sippy cup with out the use of a bottle. My daughter took a bottle, but I didn’t wnat to introduce them as a primary way of drinking. The BornFree sippy cups have a soft spout which you cannot find in a lot of other sippy cups.

The other thing I LOVE about this product that is if she chews through her sippy spout, I can just replace the spout without having to replace the WHOLE cup. THis saves my pocket book and the landfill.

Lastly, I do not like plastics at all, but in some cases it makes more sense. I also use stainless (makes kids hands SO cold) and glass (so heavy in the diaper bag, and when baby chucks it accross the room) When I was pregnant with my son in 2005 I got rid of everything plastic in my house. Now the BornFree products are pretty much the only plastic items we have in our house. I must trust you guys a lot!

Thanks for being such a enviromentally responsible company!

• Miriam said:

Great article – I used Born Free 4 years ago with my first born and had no second thoughts about using it for my second when I weaned him off the breast. Best transition!

• Vira said:

After the big BPA scare, I got rid of all my plastic bottles (from another brand) and switched to glass. The glass bottles were way too heavy for my son to hold, so I purchased some Born Free plastic bottles. I just LOVE them! I purchased the Born Free sippy cups as well! My 2 boys have been using the Born Free bottles and never had any problems. I would definitely recommend them to any new mom!

• Melanie Rumley said:

Great article! BornFree bottles are great – no leaking and closely resemble breast.

• Kristi Kocherkewych said:

The first Born Free products that I used were the 5 oz plastic bottles; My son is 10 months old now and I’m still breastfeeding but for the first several months I would pump for two reasons: so my husband could feed Lucas and have those one-on-one moments that I was blessed to get many times a day breastfeeding and second, b/c like any breastfeeding mommy would attest too…your breasts fill up so much at the beginning and you need to either feed or pump. So, I had bottles in the fridge for later use. I loved the BornFree ones for a lot of reasons: they were BPA free, the nipples closely resembled the breast nipple and therefore would cause less confusion for Lucas (he loved the bottles) and I also like the valve system to reduce the airflow into his belly.
    Now, I have the 9 oz bottles, microwave sterilizer, bottle cleaning brushes, training cup and I would like to buy some other items.

• Kari said:

Cow’s milk is for baby cows and goat’s milk is for baby goats! You said he weaned himself from the breast…than why not pump?! Was he over the breast or over the breast milk? I still think breast is best! I just don’t understand why moms want to give their baby another animals breast milk when they have something far better than it for FREE!