Home » Moms

Contest: Have a Happy (and Green!) Valentine’s Day!

12 February 2011 16 Comments

The launch of our new Eco Deco Bottles has gotten us thinking of how we can green up our holidays and why not start with Valentine’s Day? Traditionally V-Day involves lots of roses, chocolates, and paper Valentines. Can you think of a way to make your special day greener?

Here are some ideas:

*Recycle your child’s Valentines instead of just throwing them away, or create a collage and frame them!

*Give your honey potted flowers instead of picked ones!

*Buy chocolates that are local, organic, or made in a sustainable fashion (or all three!)

Do you have any other ideas for making Valentine’s Day a little greener? One person who comments with their idea will win a Twin Pack of 9oz Eco Deco bottles!

More About the new Eco Deco Bottles:

Eco Deco bottles are Eco-Friendly decorated PP plastic recyclable bottles, complete with ActiveFlow™ venting system designed to reduce gas, spit-up and other colic symptoms.

When you have no more use for it just place it in our recycling boxes located inside your nearest eco retailer. Learn more: http://www.newbornfree.com/Eco-Friendly/109981/Info.aspx

Good luck!

• Catharine said:

Give a gift certificate for a service, like a massage or holistic facial

My daughter gives out treats, like pencils and erasers, instead of paper valentines.

• Sarah Ahmad said:

Here are some ideas for a greener valentine:
    *we make our own cards
    *we don’t buy boxed chocolate, instead we make valentine themed cupcakes and cookies

• Gingermommy said:

We make homemade goodies and share them for valentines day. My kids also use valentines from previous years, cut and paste them onto construction paper and make valentines out of them

• Kari L. said:

To make Valentine’s Day a little greener, you can talk with your little ones about ways to help “love” the earth. It’s important to discuss issues in order to create change!

• missbobloblaw said:

We hand out homemade cookie valentines to my Daughter’s class, and instead of flowers, we make a great meal at home!

My sister sent me a valentine that’s a homemade paper heart with wildflower seeds in it. I can plant it when the snow melts! Homemade goodies are another great way to avoid too much packaging.

• cassandra said:

I alway re-use me decoration and make treats. When my son get old enough to pass valentime we will make then from scrach. this way we get to spend time together

• Allison said:

This year we decided that we first of all would just buy plants for the garden or indoor potted plants instead of buying cut flowers….(SERIOUSLY HALF THE PRICE OF CUT FLOWERS AT THIS TIME OF THE YEAR!!!!!) We also decided that instead of making valentines for everyone, we would bake our own valentines cupcakes and give those out!!! It’s way more fun for my son to help out with baking…then it is writing everyones names over and over again!!! Plus…you can always sneak a few for yourself!!!!!!!

• Olivia's Mama said:

We are having a Valentine’s day party with local treats, e-invitations to cut down on paper waste.

With leftover valentine’s, we like to use them for crafts throughout the year or even create a ribbon string for next year’s decor!

• Natasha Sadler said:

We just moved to a new house and currently it is winter (we live in Canada). Instead of buying roses that will only last a few days, my husband and son gave me a coupon to buy rose bushes in the spring to plant in our new garden!

• ashley said:

instead of roses, give a rose bush!

• Colleen said:

we make homemade cards, home baked treats (with ingredience from our local healthy food store, and reuse decorations(we use some that are from when I was little)

• Michelle said:

We are making special valentines cards this year, by cutting out shapes from last years cards as well as plain pieces of wrapping paper (red, silver etc) left over from Christmas! We will also be baking cookies instead of buying chocolates or store bought candy. My son is two and a half and reallllly excited about this! (baby sister is only 2 months, so we will teach her next year) :)
    (Posted this on the link in FB too) :)

• Jennifer said:

I have never had such dry hands until I had my little girl. All the extra washing with the diaper changes. My honey went to the effort to find me a beautiful lotion that isn’t tested on animals, made with 97% natural and biodegradable product and the packaging is made from 100% recycled material. Also it fits really neatly into my diaper bag. Oh and he did the first application on me himself. Hand massages do not get enough credit.

• http://pic88.wagreat.com/ind/userinfo.php?uid=147363 said:

Hi there superb website! Does running a blog such as this require a great deal of work?
    I have no understanding of coding however I was hoping to
    start my own blog soon. Anyways, if you have any suggestions or
    techniques for new blog owners please share. I know this is off topic but I
    simply had to ask. Many thanks!

Stop by my web page http://pic88.wagreat.com/ind/userinfo.php?uid=147363