Home » Contests, Headline

April is Earth Month!

8 April 2011 18 Comments

April is Earth Month and April 22nd is Earth Day! Naturally, we’re pretty excited. If you haven’t heard, we’ve has gone green in a major way with our Eco-Friendly line of recyclable bottles.

We want to celebrate this special month with you! We know that many of you are living green lives and making environmentally wise choices such as composting, recycling, cloth diapering and more.

What are some ideas you have for raising environmentally green children? How will you instill a love for the environment in your little ones as they grow?

Leave your tip below in the comments. One person who shares will win a 4-Pack of our new Eco Deco Recyclable bottles! Please share this with your Facebook friends by clicking the “Like” or “Share” buttons. Thank you!

The winner is Catharine with the email address: cmste********@gmail.com. Please email moms@newbornfree.com!

• emma w said:

I am training them early! I will lead by example for my 7 month old and we will be out picking up garbage, composting, and growing some veggies!

• Michelle said:

We recycle and are teaching our son about recycling. We recently cleaned up the yard and put the leaves into the compost together and picked up some garbage that had blown in. He likes to “help” clean up and sort out what “belongs in nature” and what doesn’t. (That’s how he says it) He also helps us sort our recycling before we take it back to the bins. I am amazed at how much he knows about the environment already and how much concern he has for things that don’t belong in nature. He is going to help us teach his baby sister all about when she is old enough. It is never to early to start teaching them about how to take care of the environment, I thought the concept was way beyond a 2 year old, but he really took to it.
    Another fun game to play is to gather various items into a pile and have them sort them as to what can be recycled and what can’t. :)

• Karen said:

Our 5 y/o daughter knows the difference between garbage & recycling. Sometimes I’ll ask her to put something in the garbage, and she’ll say “don’t you mean recycling, mom?” Also we keep bottles separate & every couple of weeks she goes with her dad to the bottle depot. They return the bottles. Our daughter gets a dollar or 2 to buy a treat (or save for a toy) and the rest goes into her bank account. Our 11 month old son will grow up never knowing what it’s like to NOT recycle. It will just be part of everyday life. We hope to introduce composting soon as well!

• Corinne said:

I encourage our 19 month old to recycle all the time. And we save paper towel rolls etc and make crafts all the time :) I hope his 1 week old brother wants to hop on board as well. If my 19 month old sees Daddy going to the garbage he says ” recycle Daddy” lol Soooo cute :)

• Luisa said:

I taught my 7 yr old son not only the importance of recycling but also the value of money. And we both agreed that if he wants to buy a new toy that is out of budget he has to work for it. I make him collect our bottles and the bottles from his aunt and grandparent’s house the bottles and newspapers and I go with him in the bottle depot to sell them. I want him to remember that there’s always money from garbage and it will not only save us money but will also save our environment.

• Sarah Ahmad said:

Some things we work on everyday:
    *conserving water
    *teaching my daughter about recycling
    *growing our own veggies in the summer
    *conserving electricity

• Brandy said:

We do simple things such as recycling, not letting th water run when we brush our teeth and putting garbage in its place.

• Melissa B said:

Teach them early and lead by example. Let them know the difference between garbage and recycling. Make your own baby food–better for them and cheaper too!

• Amanda said:

We do a lot us the usualy stuff we compost in our back yard, we grow our own organic vegtables, no power on during the day with the exception of the raido, we do our laundry at night and I hang it to dry on our line in the morning, we recycle everything!!! Our family of 5 we only have about half a bad of garbage a week!!

• Catharine Lou said:

Lots of good ideas. We are always striving to be green! Recycling, cloth diapering, and our own vegetable garden!!

• barb said:

We cloth diaper! My daughter thinks its great that her brothers diapers don’t go in the garbage. We also teach her not to waste anything.

• Janine Gallant said:

We recycle, and divide the compost and garbage. As well, I teach my children about the importance or conserving water.

• Kim said:

I have 2 toddlers and an infant and I just get them involved with whatever I am doing throughout the day. They thinks its a game to put cans into the blue bin and we have them out in our garden whenever we can. I always have at least one of them cooking with my during the day and we just talk about where some of the veggie came from (our garden)and they are starting to get familar with what can be composted. The key is to start young and to make it fun for everyone!!!!

• Bev said:

My kids recycle, donate pennies at school to help schools in other countries, poop scoop when we walk the dog,and my daughter loves to help in the veggie garden !

• Ela Calulo said:

My son knows that i always wanted everyone in my family to eat fresh. I never gave him processed food when he was a baby. I made my own baby food for him and now i have a little urban farm here in my home. Im not only saving but also teaching my kids how to be green at all times!!! We also bought the recycling bins here at home and taught them how to sort the garbage!

• Allison said:

We don’t have a yard…only a few large decks..but every summer we get our little guy out with us to plant as many vegetables as we can. He loves planting them and he REALLY enjoys eating them!!! We also teach him about recycling and how the food we don’t eat will help our new vegetables grow even better!!!! So much fun for everyone!!!!

• Game Of War Fire Age Redeemcodes said:

Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my
    iPad and tested to see if it can survive a thirty foot drop,
    just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is
    now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this
    is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

Also visit my web page: Game Of War Fire Age Redeemcodes

• ronnykadarishko.wix.com said:

Hi it’s me, I am also visiting this web site daily, this site is really
    nice and the people are truly sharing nice thoughts.

My web-site ronnykadarishko.wix.com